We’ll be hosting another free training for Bike Clinic volunteers on Thursday, December 12 from 7-9 at Arthur’s shop in Willow Glen. If you’re interested and available, RSVP ASAP through this Google form or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Arthur Rodriguez, owner of a bike repair education business called Bike Teacher, is offering a training that’s free to all SJBC volunteers—past, present and future. Our focus is on putting tools and knowledge in the hands and minds of our members and participants. So you’ll not only learn how to do basic repairs, but also how to share what you know and pay it forward. We’re always building our team of volunteer mechanics to teach bike repair skills at events and when we open a permanent space, and we want you to join us. These trainings are a great way to get involved.
Here’s what Arthur’s planning to teach this time, with help from another volunteer:
- Wheel hub and bottom bracket maintenance, with a focus on diagnosing problems. This is especially important in rainy weather and with older used bikes.
- Handlebar wrapping. Need this done? Bring handlebar tape and your bike!
- Generally get familiar with your bike, repairs and adjustments.
- We’ll teach you parts and tools vocabulary along the way, or answer any questions you have.
- Get a SJBC 101 overview so you know what we’re all about.
What to bring?
- Your Bike
- Multi-tool or similar (with chain break)
- Tire Levers
- Apron if you have one
- Latex gloves optional
We will have some tools on hand to share. See you there!